Create a business case framework for the industry adoption of IO, addressing possible concerns and evaluating the current operating system.
The objective of this project is to create a blueprint business case on IO for mining businesses. This should enable companies to build their own business case and provide a basic frame of reference to implement IO in their own organizations.
This business case will focus on six key areas:
- Financial evaluation
- Developing the direction and vision
- Creating a roadmap
- Maturity assessment
Current project objectives are:
- Provide self-assessment scorecards.
- Create a compelling narrative through a written business case.
- Provide variety of options for IO, including templates and guidelines.
Whilst the industry is embracing the need for adapting new technologies in digitization, automation, and decision support systems, there is recognition that the core operating processes must be integrated to realize the full potential of the technologies.
A business case can articulate the financial risks and benefits of IO. With a pre-developed business case, mining managers will avoid the added cost of labour and resources that come with creating an individual case for the company. A business case can also guide or lead conversations with company stakeholders and identify the requirements, needs and best options. IO can act as the catalyst to transform the mining industry to deliver maximum productivity, minimizing human exposure and impact to the environment.
Implementing IO will:
- Create a seamless business environment with transparency of information, collaborative environment, with capacity to optimize the whole system.
- Establish industry-leading technology platforms that provide solutions in automation, analytics, and decision support.
- Become more predictable and able to manage variation in operations than we are today.