The scope of the SA (Situational Awareness) working group is to analyze the effectiveness of information delivery systems in mining equipment and develop a unified display design, to mitigate against the proliferation of screens within equipment cabs. This working group comprises a variety of stakeholders representing a cross-section of relevant mining and mining-related organizations. This stakeholder network will help guide the direction of the working group towards a common, mutually beneficial end. For now, the focus is on shovel displays; however it should be noted that this work is expected to form the foundation for similar work with other equipment in the future.
The goals of this working group for 2013 include, but are not limited to:
1) Accomplish a next layer of design for the unified display: alarm/notification inventory, prioritization and delivery strategy
2) Provide recommendations to the mining industry on user interface design for a unified shovel display
3) Continue development of a prototype unit capable of showing, at least in part, a unified display combining several data from mutually exclusive sources, and its potential benefits in terms of safety, productivity and ease of use
4) Develop a long-term action plan for this working group and its potential outcomes
5) Develop a communication strategy to help share outcomes with the industry and recruit new members to the working group
6) Foster collaboration amongst stakeholders along the way, whereby advancing relationships within the industry and hopefully the state of the art on general.