The Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) Underground Sub-Committee will hold two workshops in Montreal and Sweden to create the next edition of the recommended practices guideline. Each workshop will build on the other to reach a consensus on what information must be added to V2. Some of the new potential topics to be included are:
- A new Operations section, including emergency response and training for maintenance and operators
- Guidelines for creating a business case, and a comparison of BEV to tethered technology
- Recommendations for standardization of charging systems: connectors and protocols for communication
- Expanded discussion about the use of pantographs
- Information on how to build a basic BEV simulation, including formulas
- Revisiting of E-stop requirements and master disconnects
- Revisiting of resistive braking
- Expanded Performance Standards section, revising the data sheets, performance parameters, and making the section more user-friendly
Since the publication of “Recommended Practices for Battery Electric Vehicles in Underground Mining” OEMs, mining companies, OTMs, and consulting companies have all demonstrated an interest in participating. A major OEM already considers the guideline required reading for engineers, and several mining companies are creating a joint RFP based on its specifications. Feedback from companies who have implemented the guideline will prove especially useful.
Technology is rapidly advancing and we want to stay current. V2 will unquestionably be an invaluable resource for the Underground Mining industry.
For more information on GMSG’s upcoming workshops, contact Heather Ednie.